WHAT IS ALPHA PHI OMEGA?
- Alpha Phi Omega is a national coeducational service organization founded on the principles of Leadership, Friendship and Service. It provides its members the opportunity to develop leadership skills as they volunteer on their campus and in their community. The service Alpha Phi Omega members provide benefits the campus, the community, the nation, and the organization. With more than 400,000 members on over 375 campuses, Alpha Phi Omega continues to provide more service on more campuses than any other collegiate service organization.
WHO CAN JOIN ALPHA PHI OMEGA?
- Alpha Phi Omega is open to every UT ARLINGTON student with no discrimination whatsoever. Although we are called a service fraternity, we consist of both males and females. Students of every major and year are invited to join. Graduate Students are always welcome to join as well.
DOES ALPHA PHI OMEGA HAZE?
- Theta Tau has a strict no hazing policy that is in compliance with UT Arlington policies as well as the national fraternity’s bylaws. There is no need for hazing in APO as we encourage our cardinal principles of leadership, friendship, and service.
HOW IS ALPHA PHI OMEGA DIFFERENT FROM A SOCIAL FRATERNITY/SORORITY?
- Alpha Phi Omega is different from a social fraternity in that our purpose is service. While we do organize fun fellowship events for our members to bond, our main priority is serving others. Alpha Phi Omega is not an IFC fraternity and does not have a house on Greek Row.
HOW MUCH OF MY TIME WILL IT TAKE UP?
- There are 8 weeks of new membership in which you attend 1 hour meetings, complete projects (most likely 25 to 30 hours), and attend required events. The more events you attend, the more you will make out of APO!
WHAT DOES THE NEW MEMBERSHIP PROCESS CONSIST OF?
- The New Membership process is one of the most fun experiences you will have at UT Arlington. With multiple opportunities for community service, making new friends, and getting involved in leadership positions that can expand your horizons, there are plenty of reasons to join! The New Member process for Alpha Phi Omega requires new members to:
- Complete projects across all of our project areas (leadership, friendship, service).
- Attend the weekly meetings throughout the semester.
- There is also a New Member class executive board that New Members are encouraged to run for and will be voted on by New Members.
- We will also have plenty of great things to do for fun to make sure you have the best new member experience including a New Member Retreat!
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO DURING RUSH?
- Rushing is easy! There are no bids or interviews; the only thing that is required to begin new membership is to attend our New Member Ceremony.
IF I DECIDE TO RUSH, AM I COMMITTED TO JOINING ALPHA PHI OMEGA?
- No. The rush process provides an opportunity for you to evaluate Alpha Phi Omega and see if it is right for you. During rush, if you decide for any reason not to move forward in Alpha Phi Omega, you are in no way obligated.